Does the seller-doer model make sense for your firm? Sometimes referred to as the “doer-seller” or “closer-doer” model, this approach has increasingly been returning to prominence in the architecture, engineering, construction (AEC), and environmental industries. In fact, research from the Society for Marketing Professional Services (SMPS), PSMJ Resources, and other AEC-focused organizations has verified the continued importance of this model, whether or not your firm employs dedicated business development professionals. A seller-doer is loosely defined as a technical professional who balances billable work with some level of business development responsibilities. Typical titles for professionals in this role include:
- Vice President
- Project Executive
- Project Manager
- Lead Architect
- Lead Engineer
- Lead Designer
- Lead Scientist
- Branch Manager
- Department Manager
- Project Superintendent
- Construction Services
Although two-thirds to three-quarters for AEC firms employ seller-doers, research from SMPS has revealed that only about one-third of firms provide any type of BD training to their seller-doers! How can they be expected to succeed without any training or guidance? “Go do it” is not a strategy, and not an approach typically experienced in other aspects of business.
aecumen can help fill this gap with our AEC Seller-Doer Training Program, providing seller-doers with the business development acumen required to succeed.
The AEC Seller-Doer Training Program is based around more than two-dozen topic-focused “modules,” which can be as short as 30 minutes or as long as several hours. Depending upon your unique needs, the full program could span multiple days, whether delivered over a compressed period or spread over monthly or even quarterly training. However, aecumen can also deliver the training in 1/2-day increments.
Which modules make the most sense for your firm? The content and length of our program is fully customizable, and our team would be happy to discuss an approach that addresses the most critical gaps in your seller-doers’ knowledge base.
aecumen’s AEC Seller-Doer Training Program can include the following modules:
- Current Trends in AEC Business Development
- Understanding Business Development & Marketing
- Researching & Gaining Competitive Intelligence
- Networking to Build Trust & Establish Relationships
- Prospecting Approaches to Find Leads
- Social Selling (Using Social Media for Business Development)
- Thought Leadership Marketing (Blogging, White Papers, Ebooks, Presentations, etc.)
- Understanding How Buyers Select AEC Firms
- Developing Your Company Story
- Creating Value Messages Specific to Clients, Prospects, Opportunities
- Rapport-Building Skills to Become a Better Conversationalist
- Capture Planning for Client & Project Pursuits
- Client Personas & Personality Types
- Using Consultative Selling to Differentiate Your Firm
- Uncovering Project Drivers (Questioning)
- Writing Effective Proposals
- Creating & Delivering Winning Presentations
- Client Experience Strategy
- Asking for Referrals & Testimonials
- Time Management Skills
- Soft Skills Training
- Personal Branding as a Business Development Strategy
- Conducting a Business Development Skills Gap Analysis
- AEC Marketing Fundamentals
- The Metrics of Marketing & Business Development
- Sales & Marketing Integration
- Challenges of the Seller-Doer Model
- Training the Trainer
Is your firm ready to enhance the skills of your seller-doers? Reach out to Scott D. Butcher, FSMPS, CPSM at 717.891.1393 or firstname.lastname@example.org Scott has trained thousands of professionals through in-house programs, presentations, conferences, and more. He’s one of the country’s thought leaders on the seller-doer model, and has led several business development research initiatives for the Society for Marketing Professional Services / SMPS Foundation. Scott authored Sell. Do. Win Business. How A/E/C Firms are Using Staff to Win More Work, and co-authored the book A/E/C Business Development – The Decade Ahead. Scott also blogs regularly about seller-doer tools and techniques on Marketropolis – the only sales and marketing blog on the Engineering News-Record website.
Be sure to also check out our Resources for Seller-Doers page.