For 250 years, York was home to a building named the York County Court House. The first courthouse stood in Centre Square and hosted the Second Continental Congress. The second courthouse was located on East Market Street and hosted an unwelcome visitor: the Army of Northern Virginia. The third courthouse was constructed on the site of its predecessor, and was greatly renovated and expanded in 1957 before closing in 2004. This presentation gives an overview of all these buildings, architectural highlights, and key events in their history. JDB Engineering provided full-service engineering to convert the third courthouse into an administrative center, a project which won two national awards and multiple regional and local awards.
Presented by: Scott D. Butcher, FSMPS, CPSM. Scott spoke about courts buildings at the dedication of the York County Administrative Center and compiled a comprehensive research document, A Brief History of the York County Court House. In addition, he coordinated the creation of The Evolution of the York County Court House exhibit in the third-floor rotunda of the York County Administrative Center. Scott has given versions of this presentation for IFMA Central PA and USGBC Central PA programs.